Pole Barn Building Site Preparation
Tips & Information
Proper site preparation costs a little more upfront but saves you money and headaches in the long run.
When site prep is done correctly, you'll have a drier, healthier building less subject to the destructive action of water. It will last longer, need less maintenance and take less energy to cool.
Here are the basic steps:
- Remove all humus and sod.
- Excavate to remove high spots, if needed.
- Add ditches, pond or swales, if needed.
- If needed, apply fill a layer at a time and compact it to ensure a non-settling crowned or level surface.
- Add a layer of coarse stone over the soil base to reduces capillary action and drain water away.
If you are considering a building project, we encourage you to talk to an excavator early. Your FBi Project Sales Consultant can recommend one in your area that has experience preparing sites for post-frame buildings.